John R. Funk Elected Secretary of the High Sierra Lacrosse Foundation


Tahoe Truckee LA v5

Gunderson Law Firm Attorney, John Funk, Esq. has been selected to serve as secretary of the High Sierra Lacrosse Foundation.

The High Sierra Lacrosse Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2007 to develop the sport of lacrosse for all student-athletes in Northern Nevada, Truckee, and the Tahoe Basin. The Foundation is guided by a Board of Directors (BOD) who believe that participation in the sport of lacrosse provides a powerful vehicle for a participant’s personal growth and development. The Foundation believes that the team sport of lacrosse teaches the values of respect, fairness, teamwork, communication, responsibility, truthfulness, non-discrimination, honesty, and integrity. These attributes help develop skill sets in student-athletes that are valuable to our local communities.


So Your Client has a Judgment; Now What?


Compensation for your client does not end with a judgment; it only ends when your client has successfully executed on that judgment by realizing a monetary return. Many attorneys consider a successful jury verdict, or the granting of a motion for summary judgment, to be the victory for their client. However, most clients have a sense of lasting victory only after they are actually paid what they are owed. Thus, the question becomes: so your client has a judgment; now what?

Read the full article at Nevada Lawyer Magazine.

Happy Nevada Day From Gunderson Law Firm


This Nevada Day, we’d like to extend our appreciation to our clients, peers and friends. We feel fortunate to live and work in a place with great people, beautiful landscapes and amazing opportunities.

Cheers to the land we love the best!

From all of us at Gunderson Law Firm

Following Through With a Judgment: Working Towards a Successful Debt Collection

Nevada Business Magazine


By John R. Funk

When your business sells goods or services, you expect to be paid.  However, payment is not always the reality.  If your business is not getting paid, you can seek repayment either informally or formally.  If your informal methods of trying to convince the debtor to pay have been unsuccessful; consider formally seeking payment by filing a lawsuit.  This article focuses on the realities of using the judicial system to collect amounts owed to your business.

Once you file a lawsuit, the debtor has the opportunity to defend the action.  The debtor may assert defenses that it does not owe as much as you think, that the goods were defective, or the services subpar.  Fast forward—the judge has decided the debtor’s defenses are without merit and has awarded you a monetary judgment for the full amount you sought.  Hey, you just won your lawsuit!  Congratulations are in order, right?

Wrong, merely winning a lawsuit and obtaining a judgment does not mean you automatically receive a deposit in your business’s bank account.  Rather, that judgment only allows you to use the courts and sheriff’s office to enforce your judgment.

Satisfying Your Judgment

In Nevada, those who have monetary judgments against another (“judgment creditors”) have a variety of statutory tools at their disposal to compel those who owe them money (“judgment debtors”) to satisfy the judgment.  At its most basic level, Nevada’s debt collection statutes allow judgment creditors to satisfy their judgments by having the sheriff’s office seize property belonging to the judgment debtor.  The sheriff’s office will then sell that seized property and give the proceeds of the sale to the judgment creditor.  The judgment creditor can have this process repeated until the judgment is paid in full.  Thus, judgments are only as good as the judgment debtor’s quality and quantity of assets.

Locating the Judgment Debtor’s Assets

The question then becomes, how do you know what property to have the sheriff seize.  Nevada allows a judgment creditor to obtain information directly from the judgment debtor, or any other person, concerning the judgment debtor’s property.  For instance, judgment creditors may subpoena the judgment debtor’s accountants, managers, or any person when seeking information concerning the judgment debtor’s property.  If that person refuses or fails to answer, they may become responsible for paying the amounts owed to your business.

Sometimes, by the time the judgment creditor obtains its judgment, the judgment debtor has transferred all of its assets to a separate entity or to the entity’s principals in hopes of avoiding the judgment.  Once again, the judicial process has a solution for the judgment creditor.

Discovery of Nonparties’ Assets

The Nevada Supreme Court recently permitted a judgment creditor to obtain information concerning the assets of a non-debtor.  Rock Bay, LLC v. Dist. Ct., 129 Nev. Adv. Op. 21 (Nev. Apr. 4, 2013).  In that recent case, the Nevada Supreme Court allowed the judgment creditor to ascertain information concerning the assets of an entity that was not a debtor, but who participated in various financial transfers with the judgment debtor after a lawsuit was filed.  This third-party was formed by one of the judgment debtors and it appeared to be used as a vehicle to hide money from the judgment creditor.

The Nevada Supreme Court explained that allowing discovery into the assets of non-debtors is permissible if it will lead to the discovery of hidden or concealed assets of the judgment debtor.  To convince a court to allow such discovery, the judgment creditor may show that transfers to the third party took place and that the relationship between the judgment debtor and the nonparty is sufficient to raise a reasonable suspicion concerning the propriety and permissibility of the transfers.

When your business is owed money, you have various options available to you to seek payment.  Typically, you should start by informally seeking to convince the debtor to pay your bill without having to hire a debt collector or without having to file a lawsuit.  However, when that debtor refuses to pay, even though it has the apparent ability or assets to do so, your business should consider filing a lawsuit.

John R. Funk is an Associate at Gunderson Law Firm, and can be contacted directly at or by calling (775) 829-1222.